This week Coach Dave and I spoke with Maggie La Tourelle, who is a writer, speaker, therapist and educator in holistic healthcare and wellbeing. She’s also the author of the book The Gift of Alzheimer’s: New Insights into the Potential of Alzheimer’s and its Care.
She shared the wonderful experiences and discoveries she made during her mother’s journey with Alzheimer’s, which Maggie describes as a “beautiful journey.”
When was the last time you heard someone refer to “The Gifts of Alzheimers” or it as a beautiful journey?
It’s more common to refer to Alzheimer’s as a tragedy and equally negative terms. Which is understandable. The person you knew before dementia usually disappears, and there are many losses associated with this.
Maggie shared her discoveries, including…
- How her mother was able to surrender to the now and released her fear of death…
- The power of emotional memory and how new emotional memories continue even in the last stages of Alzheimer’s…
- How her mother found unconditional love and shared it with Maggie for the first time in Maggie’s life…
- How they found the true source of happiness and love…
- The transformation of both her mother’s final years and Maggie’s perspective on individual truth and awareness…
You can listen to the whole replay of this amazing hour we spent by signing up at www.CaregivingWithPurpose.com/webinar
Her book The Gift of Alzheimer’s: New Insights into the Potential of Alzheimer’s and its Care combines conversations Maggie and her mother had with Maggie’s insights and explanations. She explains what’s happening, and also gives specific examples of how to react to someone with dementia in unconditional love and acceptance.
And it also has an extensive reference section!
This book is an important affordable resource for family and professional caregivers of those living with dementia.
To your Happy&Healthy Caregiving,
Ina Gilmore, M.D.
“The Knitting Dr.”
Founder, www.CaregivingWithPurpose.com and www.TheKnittingYarn.com
Ambassador of Caregiving at www.HowToLiveOnPurpose.com
P.S. One of the most delightful surprises of the webinar was how Maggie discussed many of the same things we talk about in our Mastering Caregiving Program. Check it out at www.CaregivingWithPurpose.com/programs