Lately Nancy’s spare moments are spent caring for her elderly parents.
Her dad was recently in the hospital and her mother no longer drives.
Nancy runs errands, transports them to doctor’s visits, and helps with housework.
Lately she’s been noticing that she’s almost always tired. She’s lost some weight, and no longer enjoys knitting or crocheting. She can’t remember the last time she and her husband had a “date night.”
When the phone rang unexpectedly and she dissolved into tears, Nancy knew she needed help.
What symptoms suggest caregiver stress is too much stress and strain?
- Frequent negative feelings including overwhelm . . .helplessness . . .and sadness. Do you have these feelings daily? Constantly?
- Gaining or losing a lot of weight. Severe caregiver stress can cause a large weight change. Are you eating healthy regular meals? Caring for everyone except yourself?
- Becoming frequently ill—including exhaustion, headaches and body pains. Those pains can be real, and may be due to the physical stresses of caregiving. Stress can also affect the immune system, decreasing your resistance to infections.
- Changing sleep patterns—either too much or too little. Not getting enough sleep may be due to due to worry . . .an inability to relax . . .or caring for someone who’s up at night. Sleeping too much can also signal physical and mental exhaustion.
- Losing interest in activities you normally enjoy. Like crafts and other leisure activities. Are you at risk for social isolation due to your caregiving?
- Becoming easily upset. Finding yourself easily irritated or losing your temper? Stressed caregivers are at risk for becoming upset at the person they care for, themselves and others.
- Abusing alcohol, tobacco or drugs—including medications from a doctor.
Are you looking for help with stress now?
Wondering if there’s an easy way to finding solutions to your stress?
Nationally renowned speakers and motivators Chief Robert and Terri Lynn TallTree have created an audio package called The 3 ‘Deadly’ Mistakes That Cause Stress, Overwhelm and Burnout E-book Package.
It can help you experience calm, relaxation and clarity for your life now.
For more information click on this link: The 3 ‘Deadly’ Mistakes That Cause Stress, Overwhelm and Burnout E-book Package.
Keep knitting to your heart’s delight — or someone else’s,
Ina Gilmore M.D. (ret.)
Ambassador of Elder Care, HowToLiveOnPurpose.com
Founder, CaregivingWithPurpose.com and TheKnittingYarn.com
“The Knitting Dr.”
The information on this website is for educational purposes only. It does not replace information or recommendations from your own physician or other health care provider. This site does not advocate medical or other health-related self-care, and encourages you to obtain advice from your own personal physician or other health care provider.
This web site is not intended to replace medical, financial, legal, or any other professional advice. Please use your own good judgment and consult with your own professionals before applying any ideas found within this website.